Under Siege
This is not a battle
I am under siege
The enemy throws itself against the walls
Howling for pain and death
I cower in the keep
Peering through a window at the fires below
Hoping for respite
Praying for retreat
The enemy outside
Relentless
Battering down the gates
Sneaking and probing for weakness
Bloodthirsty
Never sated, never still
Soon the walls will fail
The howling hoard will find me
It will raze me to the ground
I wrote this poem this morning, even though I'm not a very good poet. I just found out (through MyChart, of course) that my cancer has spread to my liver. My estimated chance of survival for one year just dropped from 43.31% to 23.65% according to the MD Anderson calculator. My first thought upon hearing this news was that all I can do is try to shore up the barricades while I sit and wait for this to consume me. This is not a battle against cancer. It's not a fair fight between equal armies. I am under siege, and it's only a matter of time before it wins.

